- Don't forget your passport. Citizens of the USA do not need a visa to enter Costa Rica but you will need a valid passport.
- Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends, so you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
- When packing for your trip to Costa Rica, keep in mind the climate is moderate to HOT. Bring tee shirts, shorts, lightweight clothes (breathable materials are best), light jacket or sweater, rain gear, closed toe shoes (sneakers, water shoes for rafting, socccer cleats, and running shoes), sandals, sun hat, swimsuit, soccer training gear, beach towel, sunglasses, and a camera.
- Bring travel-size containers (toothpaste, toothbrush, hair gel, etc.) and place them inside a zip-top bag.
- Bring items of value (jewelry, cash, tablets, cell phones, etc.) in your carry-on baggage.
- If you bring a laptop computer, tape your business card to the bottom of it of place an sticker with your contact information on it.
- Ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation. If it does not, consider supplemental insurance.
- To avoid being a target of crime, do not wear conspicuous clothing or jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of money. Also, do not leave unattended luggage in public areas