DID YOU KNOW?
- San Jose (Costa Rica's capital) was the first city in Central America to be illuminated by electric energy.
- Costa Rica has not had an army since 1949.
- The phrase "Pura Vida" literally means "Pure life" but its real meaning is closer to "plenty of life", "full of life", "this is living!", "going great", "real living", "Awesome!" or "cool!". "Pura Vida" can be used both as a greeting or a farewell.
- The time zone of Costa Rica is the same as the central time of the USA. A direct flight from San Jose takes 2:30 hours to arrive in Miami.
- One can travel from coast to coast in just three hours by car (or 45 minutes by plane).
- The highest point in Costa Rica is Cerro Chirripó, at 12,530 feet, which makes it the fifth highest peak in Central America.
- Irazú Volcano (11,257 ft) is the highest volcano in the country.
- The largest lake in Costa Rica is Lake Arenal.
- Costa Rica is considered to possess the highest density of biodiversity of any country worldwide.
- Over 25% of the country's land has a protected status as national parks, wildlife refuges, forest preserves, and more.
- An estimated 10% of the Costa Rican population is made up of Nicaraguans.
- Almost 100,000 Costa Ricans (2% of the country's population) live abroad, mostly in the United States, Mexico and Spain.